30-Hour Amazing Race to Kuala Lumpur

Photo taken by Badeedadee. Post-processed by Jay Ismail.
It all happened too sudden and too soon. I got an SMS last week from my lady boss, Cherina Chacko, asking me if I can fly in to Kuala Lumpur for their big event on Sunday, June 26, 2011. It will be sponsored by DiGi and the Philippine Embassy. Wow! But I couldn't say 'yes' then as we were still processing our visa and papers for our next booking to China. Friday came and I got another SMS from Ate Cherie that Philippine Embassy has already confirmed and sent us an invitation letter and that they already have bought our tickets... yes, they also bought ticket for Hubby Marl. :-) But eeeeek! Panic attack!!! I was really all excited feeling the adrenalin rush but I was cramming with what to wear and what to sing along. I had nooooo idea what to do as it was all done on a short notice. LOL

Saturday, June 25 - Manila to Kuala Lumpur
Photo by Jay Ismail
In the midst of the typhoon Falcon, I wasn't even sure if it will push through as there were lots of flights delayed and being cancelled. Good thing was they bought us AirAsia tickets so it was easier to fly out from Clark where the weather was better than Manila. Along with DJ Marlon of Wave Radio 89.1, DJ Bien, and sound technician Shak, we left Manila by Friday noontime and reached KL at around 4:30PM. Transportation and accommodations were all arranged by Ate Cherie... we stayed in their posh condo at KL Sentral called The Loft.

Marl and I just dropped our bags and headed out to meet our friend, Malaysian fashion & billboard photographer Jay Ismail. We just hung out in his studio for a couple of hours and made a quick shoot. After that, we met up with our friend Reen who took us to the venue where we'd be rehearsing at 10PM. But when we got there, we were told that our rehearsal was rescheduled. So we just made a short visit to Shangri-La Hotel KL and see the newly renovated pub, now called Arthur's Bar & Grill. Azrul, the assistant manager, was kind enough to have made us stay for a round of food and drinks. We were feeling the exhaustion but we made it a point to cross the street to Concorde Hotel to visit Crossroads. Saw some of our old friends and the bands playing there, Power J and Breakthru. We just said hi and headed back to the condo.

Sunday, June 26 - The BIG Day
Woke up at 9AM, had breakfast, and prepared for the big event of the day. I actually had my stuff packed as I don't have any intentions of going back to the condo after the show. So with my pink trolley bag and my backpack, we went to the venue for soundcheck at around 11AM. Luckily for me, there's a hair salon on the ground floor of the building where the event would be taking place. I had my hair set to curl while I did my own makeup.

Event started at around 2PM. The performers were all from our agency, Seagulls Promotions. As for me, I performed as a solo artist. I didn't have a white top or a groovy blazer for my MJ spot but one of the girls from the Soundstream band had a perfect blazer which completed my outfit (salamat kaayo day!). There was a raffle draw and I did my Michael Jackson medley (Black or White-Beat It-Billie Jean) and Lady Gaga's "Born This Way" for my first set. As for my second set, I changed into a shiny tube dress and sang one of my favorites "Take A Bow" by Rihanna and a danceable tune by Shakira "Loca". Performing for the Filipino crowd has been one of the most fun performance because they can relate very well. They were dancing and singing along. The other bands,  Peach Apple Tree, Soundstream, Main Avenue, and Power J., gave their best to wow the crowd, too. The invited DJs from the Philippines also did a tremendous job in providing the music in between performances. The raffle draw by DiGi made everyone excited... I didn't win but it's okay. The whole event was so successful and was well-supported by the Filipino community. I even saw some familiar faces in the crowd. Some of our friend were there including my former co-singer Marthy. It was such an overwhelming expeience and if I'd be asked to do it again, I'd gladly oblige because it's always a great honor and privilege to be invited by the Philippine Embassy to perform. Salamat po! And to Ate Cherie, our lady boss, thanks again for the opportunity!

After the show, Marl and I had a quick mee goreng at a mamak stall in Central Market with our friends Melinda and Reen. Afterwards, we went to Bangsar Village to meet our 'adopted' parents Mama Siah and Papa Jamal. It was great to see them especially Mama Siah who just went for a surgery to remove her cancerous lump. They sent us to LCCT airport at 10PM for our Cebu Pacific midnight flight. =)

Monday, June 27 - Back in Manila
As of this writing, I haven't unpacked from the trip yet. I have managed to uncomfortably sleep on the flight. I will make a quick nap after blogging this before facing a couple of hectic days in Manila before flying out to Beijing on Wednesday.


Badeedadee by Jay Ismail
Taken by Jay Ismail

No comments: